RSL RESERVES DOWN SPORTING KC COUNTERPARTS 1-0
Striker Paulo Jr. Notches Game’s Lone Goal in 28th Minute
PHOENIX, Ariz. (Wednesday, March 9, 2011) – A goal from forward Paulo Jr. in the 28th minute would be all Real Salt Lake needed to push through to a 1-0 victory over Sporting Kansas City in an exhibition contest between the teams’ reserves this morning at the Reach 11 Soccer Complex. After beating two defenders to achieve some space near the top of the area, RSL’s diminutive Brazilian striker would blast a shot into the far upper 90 just before the half-hour mark for the game’s lone tally.
Real Salt Lake News & Notes
- Real Salt Lake used a pair of trialists during today’s contest, as forwards Conor Chinn and Donny Toia both saw action. The ex-New York Red Bulls performer Chinn joined the RSL camp over the weekend and played 70 minutes up top alongside Paulo Jr. in today’s contest, while Toia, a product of the RSL-Arizona program, replaced today’s goal-scorer for the final 10 minutes of the scrimmage.
- Real Salt Lake will return to Utah this evening and take Thursday off before training at its XanGo Field practice facility Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. A detailed training schedule for the next week will be announced on Thursday.
- All is fairly quiet on the injury front for Real Salt Lake following the Tuesday/Wednesday double-dip in the desert. MF Javier Morales (R ankle contusion), DF Robbie Russell (R ankle sprain), and MF Andy Williams (R ankle contusion) all picked up minor knocks during Tuesday’s contest, but should be available for selection for the start of the CONCACAF Semifinals next week.
- While 17 MLS teams are closing up their preseason activities this week in anticipation of MLS First Kick next week, Real Salt Lake used the recent scrimmage doubleheader with SKC to prepare for the CONCACAF Champions League Semifinal Round match-up with Costa Rica’s Deportivo Saprissa. The series starts next Tuesday, March 15, when RSL welcomes the “Purple Monster” to Sandy for an 8:00 p.m. MT kickoff. A three-week hiatus will take place before the second leg on Tuesday, April 5, at the Estadio Ricardo Saprissa in San Jose, Costa Rica, also scheduled for an 8:00 p.m. MT kick (LIVE on FOX Soccer).
- Tickets for the CCL Semifinal first leg are now available and can be purchased online at www.RealSaltLake.com, over the phone at 801-727-2700, or in person at the Rio Tinto Stadium box office during regular business hours: 10:00 a.m.–6:00 p.m. MT. For a limited time, Real Salt Lake Season Ticket Holders can purchase additional seats to the historic contest for $10, while non-Season Ticket Holders can take advantage of a $15 deal through Friday.
Real Salt Lake 2011 Preseason
RSL Reserves 1 : 0 Sporting KC Reserves
Wednesday, March 9, 2011
Reach 11 Soccer Complex – Phoenix, AZ
RSL – Paulo Jr. (28th minute)
Real Salt Lake Line-up
GK- Kyle Reynish (Tim Melia 80); DF-Tony Beltran, DF-Chris Schuler, DF-Rauwshan McKenzie, DF-Jarad vanSchaik (Nelson Gonzalez 30); MF-Jean Alexandre, MF-Luis Gil, MF-Ned Grabavoy, MF-Collen Warner; FW-Paulo Jr. (Donny Toia 80), FW-Connor Chinn (Jarad vanSchaik 70)
Sporting Kansas City Starting Line-up
GK-Eric Kronberg; DF-Omar Colley, DF-Kevin Ellis, DF-Mike Jones, DF-Scott Lorenz; MF-Craig Rocastle, MF-Graham Zusi, MF-guest player, FW-Korede Aiyegbusi, FW-Chance Myers, FW-C.J. Sapong