SANDY, Utah – (Saturday, May 19, 2019) – Utah Royals FC (3-1-1, 10 points) played to a 1-1 draw against the defending National Women’s Soccer League champion North Carolina Courage at Sahlen’s Stadium at WakeMed Soccer Park behind a goal from FW Amy Rodriguez.
Royals FC once again took the early lead in the 8th minute when MF Vero Boquete connected with Rodriguez who took a one-touch shot, sending it in the lower-left corner past the Courage goalkeeper. The play was sparked by a series of one-touch passes, beginning with DF Katie Bowen, making its way through the midfield until it ultimately ended in the back of the net.
The Courage evened the score in the 78th minute when substitute Liz Eddy received a mid-air backheel pass from Debinha. Eddy took one touch and sent the ball flying into the top-left corner of goal.
UP NEXT: URFC returns home to face Orlando Pride on Saturday, May 25 at Rio Tinto Stadium.
GOAL SCORING RUNDOWN:
UTA: Amy Rodriguez (Vero Boquete), 8th minute – After a series off one-touch passes from the backline all the way through the midfield, Vero Boquete passed the ball from outside the 18-yard-box to the feet of Amy Rodriguez who, with one touch, directed the ball into the lower-left corner of the goal.
NCC: Liz Eddy (Debinha), 78th minute – Debinha played a mid-air backheel pass to the feet of Liz Eddy who slotted it in high past Nicole Barnhart.
- Utah played without MF Diana Matheson (Canada), MF Desiree Scott (Canada), DF Becky Sauerbrunn (U.S.), FW Christen Press (U.S.) and DF/FW Kelley O’Hara (U.S.) due to international duty as they enter preparation for the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup.
- The match marked the last for DF Rachel Corsie as she departs to meet up with the Scotland National Team to begin preparations for the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup
- DF Becca Moros started at left back and saw her first minutes for Royals FC this season after an injury kept her out of the first four matches.
- Rookie DF Gaby Vincent recorded her first minutes in a Royals FC uniform when she came on for DF Sam Johnson at center back at the start of the second half.
- DF Makenzy Doniak was substituted in at the 73rd minute for DF Becca Moros, marking the first time she has appeared against her former team, the North Carolina Courage, since being traded to Royals FC back in 2018.
- After being acquired off the NWSL Waiver Wire this past Monday, FW Mallory Weber made her first appearances for Royals FC when she was substituted on in the 82nd minute.
Match: Utah Royals FC vs. North Carolina Courage
Date: May 19, 2019
Venue: Sahlen’s Stadium at WakeMed Soccer Park, Cary, North Carolina
Weather: Sunny and 90 degrees
Scoring Summary: 1 2 F
Utah Royals FC 1 0 0
North Carolina Couralina 0 1 0
UTA: Amy Rodriguez (Vero Boquete) 8’
NCC: Liz Eddy (Debinha), 78’
Utah Royals FC (4-4-2): Nicole Barnhart ©; Becca Moros (Makenzy Doniak 73’), Sam Johnson (Gaby Vincent 46’), Rachel Corsie, Katie Bowen; Mandy Laddish (Mallory Weber 82’), Gunny Jónsdóttir, Lo’eau LaBonta, Veronica Boquete; Amy Rodriguez, Katie Stengel
Subs not used: Abby Smith, Gaby Vincent, Erika Tymrak, Michelle Maemone, Raisa Strom-Okimoto
North Carolina Courage (4-4-2): Katelyn Rowland; Jaelene Hinkle, Abby Erceg ©, Kaleigh Kurtz, Merritt Mathias; Debinha, McCall Zerboni, Cari Roccaro (Liz Eddy 69’), Denise O’Sullivan; Lynn Williams, Kristen Hamilton (Julia Spetsmark 58’)
Subs not used: Sam Leshnak, Heather O’Reilly, Leah Pruitt, Ryan Williams, Meredith Speck
Stats Summary: NCC / UTA
Shots on Goal: 3/1
Corner Kicks: 6/5
UTA: Amy Rodriguez (caution) 40’
Referee: Carol Anne Chenard
Assistant Referees: Kathryn Nesbitt, Chantal Boudreau
4th Official: John Matto