Real Monarchs End Unbeaten Streak at Six After 2-0 Loss to Oklahoma City

Oklahoma City (Saturday, August 5, 2017) – Real Monarchs (15-3-3, 48 pts) fell 2-0 to Oklahoma City Energy FC at Taft Field on Saturday, snapping a six-game unbeaten streak.  The loss was just the club’s third road defeat, holding a 6-3-2 record away from Rio Tinto Stadium.

Alex Dixon bagged both goals for Oklahoma City. His first came off a missed clearance in the back. Dixon took advantage of the mistake and sent a laser into the top corner in the 28th minute. The forward followed it up with a tap in from Andy Craven on the break in the second half.

The scoreline could’ve been more lopsided if not for a missed penalty kick. After a handball, Andy Craven sent his effort wide right. Shooters are now 0-4 against GK Connor Sparrow this year.

The Monarchs nearly took the lead in the 15th minute. MF Sebastian Velasquez unleashed a rocket on Cody Laurendi, but the goalkeeper was equal to the task.

UP NEXT: Real Monarchs return home to face Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC (7:00 p.m. MT, August 12).  The two sides have split the season series so far.  Chandler Hoffman’s brace led the Monarchs to a 5-2 victory at the RioT on May 20 in the latest installment between the two sides.  The Claret-and-Cobalt USL side is an undefeated 9-0-1 at home.


OKC -- Alex Dixon, 28th minute: After a missed clearance on the left side, Alex Dixon controlled the ball. He cut inside and unleashed a rocket into the top corner past a diving Connor Sparrow.

OKC -- Alex Dixon (Andy Craven), 56th minute: Andy Craven connected on a one-two that sprung him in behind the Monarchs defense. As Craven came in on goal, he laid the ball off to Dixon at the penalty spot for the tap in.


OKC -- Cody Laurendi, 15th minute: The diminutive playmaker had an opportunity on the edge of the penalty. Cody Laurendi was there to make the save.

RM -- Connor Sparrow, 60th minute: Anthony Wallace took his chance on the right side, but Sparrow swatted it away on his near post.

OKC -- Jose Barril, 83rd minute: After a spell of possession, Energy FC hit the Monarchs down the right side. Miguel Gonzalez ventured forward and cut the ball back to Jose Barril at the top of the box. His one-timer hit the far post and carrommed away.

OKC -- Cody Laurendi, 90+ minute: Charlie Adams struck a free kick from 20 yards out, but Laurendi collected it easily.


- The Claret-and-Cobalt USL side drops to 6-3-2 on the road.

- The Monarchs were shutout for just the third time in 2017. The Tulsa Roughnecks are the only other squad to keep Real scoreless.

- Real Salt Lake MF Jose Hernandez and DFs Justin Schmidt and Reagan Dunk played with the Monarchs on loan.

- GK Connor Sparrow’s record on penalty kicks improved in the 11th minute. After a handball, Andy Craven sent his effort wide right. Shooters are now 0-4 against Sparrow this year.

Match: Real Monarchs at Oklahoma City Energy FC
Date: August 5, 2017
Venue: Taft Stadium; Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Weather: 96 degrees and Sunny

Scoring Summary:                               1               2               F
Real Monarchs                                       0               0               0
Oklahoma City Energy FC               1               1               2


Real Monarchs (4-2-3-1): Connor Sparrow; Kyle Curinga, James Moberg, Justin Schmidt, Max Lachowecki; Michael Gallagher (Daniel Haber 43’), Charlie Adams; Jose Hernandez (Reagan Dunk 85’), Sebastian Velasquez, Chase Minter; Chandler Hoffman (Skyler Milne 84’)
Subs not used: Andrew Putna, Emilio Orozco, Karsten Hanlin, Jonel Desire

Oklahoma City Energy FC (4-2-3-1): Cody Laurendi; Sam Fink, Richard Dixon, Kyle Hyland, Mickey Daly; Coady Andrews, Anthony Wallace, Juan Pablo Guzman, Alex Dixon (Jose Barril 73’); Andy Craven (Jose Angulo 62’), Miguel Gonzalez (Daniel Gonzalez 90’)
Subs not used: CJ Cochran, Chad Bond, Michael Harris, Luis Martinez

Stats Summary: OKC / RM
Shots: 7 / 7
Shots on Goal: 2 / 1
Saves: 1 / 0
Corner Kicks: 3 / 2
Fouls: 20 / 10
Offside: 2 / 0


OKC -- Alex Dixon (Caution) - 31’
OKC -- Richard Dixon (Caution) - 56’
RM -- Sebastian Velasquez (Caution) - 58’


Referee: Rosendo Mendoza
Assistant Referees: Brandon Queri, Matthew Corrigan
4th Official: Benjamin More