CARSON, Calif. (Wednesday, August 4, 2021) – Real Salt Lake (5-5-6, 21 points) dropped a narrow 1-0 result at the LA Galaxy on Wednesday night, moving the Club to 2-3-2 through seven road matches in 2021.
Goalkeeper Zac MacMath notched seven saves in the loss, while winger Jonathan Menendez made his first start in an RSL uniform against the Galaxy.
Postgame Press Conferences with Freddy Juarez, Aaron Herrera and Albert Rusnák can be found here.
The first half saw both teams with several chances at goal that didn’t find the back of the net, asMacMath and the RSL backline snuffed out LA Galaxy’s chances when they arose. The Galaxy thought it had taken the lead in the 19th minute, but Kevin Cabral’s goal was deemed offside inside the penalty area. Menendez was lively throughout the first half with chances created from wide areas that didn’t materialize as the teams went into the halftime break scoreless.
The LA Galaxy broke the deadlock in the 54th minute when Efrain Alvarez’s left-footed shot near the end line found the far-side netting to give the hosts a 1-0 lead. RSL nearly found the game’s equalizing goal in the 77th minute when Albert Rusnák’s low shot inside the penalty area was saved well by Galaxy goalkeeper Jonathan Bond. In the 82nd minute, MacMath rescued RSL from going 2-0 down with an impressive save on Cabral who found himself alone inside the box with a free shot on goal. Second-half substitute Damir Kreilach also thought he had the equalizer in second half stoppage time but his rising header was saved well by Bond yet again as the match ended 1-0 in favor of the LA Galaxy.
UP NEXT: Real Salt Lake will remain on the road to face the Portland Timbers on Saturday, August 7 to close the team’s three-game road stretch. Kickoff from Providence Park is set for 8:30 p.m. MT.
GOAL SCORING RUNDOWN:
LAG: Efrain Alvarez (Sacha Klejstan), 54th minute: After a quick interchange and through ball inside the penalty area, the ball found the feet of Alvarez who found space for a left-footed shot from a tight angle. His shot curled around an on-rushing Zac MacMath and found the far side-netting.
- Midfielder Damir Kreilach was named to the 28-man roster for the 2021 MLS All-Star Game. The best in MLS will face the LigaMX All-Stars on August 25 at Banc of California Stadium.
- Forward Jonathan Menendez made his first MLS start after coming in a transfer from Independiente in his native Argentina.
- Defender Justen Glad was unavailable while serving a one-game suspension after receiving two yellow cards in Saturday’s 0-0 draw with Houston Dynamo FC.
- Forward Douglas Martinez was unavailable following the conclusion of the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo. Honduras went 1-2-0 in the Group Stage. He will be available upon his return.
- Goalkeeper David Ochoa was unavailable due to quad tightness.
- Defenders Andrew Brody and Zack Farnsworth were unavailable due to injury. Brody underwent successful surgery after suffering a toe injury in RSL’s 1-0 loss to LAFC on July 3.
- Real Salt Lake had three RSL Academy products in the XI. Additionally, two starters and three players on the 20-man roster were previously signed to the Monarchs.
- RSL’s 247-minute shutout streak was broken in the 54th minute with Efrain Alvarez’s goal. RSL hadn’t given up a goal in its previous two contests following a scoreless draw at Houston and a 3-0 home win over Colorado.
Match: Real Salt Lake at LA Galaxy
Date: August 4, 2021
Venue: Dignity Health Sports Park; Carson, California
Weather: Sunny and 80 Degrees
Scoring Summary: 1 2 F
Real Salt Lake 0 0 0
LA Galaxy 0 1 1
LAG: Efrain Alvarez (Sacha Klejstan), 54’
Real Salt Lake (4-2-3-1): Zac MacMath; Aaron Herrera, Erik Holt, Marcelo Silva, Donny Toia (Ashtone Morgan 77’); Nick Besler (Damir Kreilach 64’), Everton Luiz; Anderson Julio (Maikel Chang 66’), Albert Rusnak, Jonathan Menendez (Justin Meram 63’); Bobby Wood (Rubio Rubin 77’)
Subs not used: Andrew Putna, Toni Datkovic, Justin Portillo, Pablo Ruiz
LA Galaxy (4-4-2): Jonathan Bond; Jualian Araujo, Derrick Williams, Sega Coulibaly, Jorge Villafana; Rayan Raveloson, Sacha Kljestan (Sebastian Lleget 66’), Efrain Alvarez, Adam Saldana (Daniel Aguirre 90’); Kevin Cabral, Samuel Grandsir (Daniel Steres 81’)
Subs not used: Jonathan Klinsmann, Nick DePuy, Danilo Acosta, Oniel Fisher, Cameron Dunbar
Stats Summary: LA / RSL
Shots: 14 / 15
Shots on Goal: 8 / 4
Saves: 4 / 7
Corner Kicks: 7 / 8
Offside: 2 / 0
Fouls: 8 / 6
MISCONDUCT SUMMARY:RSL: Nick Besler (caution) 35’
RSL: Donny Toia (caution) 70’
RSL: Justin Meram (caution) 84’
Referee: Nima Saghafi
Assistant Referees: Jeremy Hanson, Apolinar Mariscal
4th Official: Ramy Touchan
VAR: Ramy Touchan
AVAR: Mike Kampmeinert