Anderson Julio returns to Real Salt Lake after a historic first year which included highlight-reel worthy goals time and time again, leaving Claret-and-Cobalt fans on the edge of their seat from the moment he sets foot on the pitch.
Here is a quick refresher on Julio career before joining Real Salt Lake in 2021
- Julio, 25, was born in Pimpampiro, Ecuador
- He began his professional career as a teenager with his childhood club, L.D.U. Quito in 2016. He made his professional debut on September 16, 2016 against CD Universidad Católica.
- Several months later Julio made his tournament debut in a 2-2 draw against Defensor Sporting Club in the now defunct Copa Sudamericana.
- Julio scored his first professional goal for L.D.U. Quito on October 16, 2016, what would eventually be the game equalizing goal in a 1-1 draw against Barcelona SC Guayaquil.
- In his four years as a professional with L.D.U. Quito he recorded 27 goals and 26 assists in 134 appearances across all competitions, helping them win both the Ecuadorian Serie A (2018) and the Copa Ecuador (2019).
- Prior to the 2020 season he was transferred to Atletico San Luis in Mexico’s Liga MX, the highest league in Mexican football. His departure was the sixth-most valuable departure in L.D.U. Quito history.
- His arrival to Atletico San Luis set a record, at the time, as the most expensive transfer in Club history, a record that has since been broken by the Mexican club twice.
- In one season with San Luis Julio appeared in 20 matches across all competitions.
Julio’s career with the Claret-and-Cobalt
- Julio joined Real Salt Lake on loan from Atletico San Luis on March 12, 2021.
- On April 25, 2021, in the Claret-and-Cobalt’s season opener against Minnesota United, Julio made his RSL and Major League Soccer debut, recording a brace in the eventual 2-1 victory, a performance which earned him a spot on MLSsoccer.com's Team of the Week.
- Julio earned Team of the Week honors again in Week 20 for his game-winning goal in the 2-1 victory at Rio Tinto Stadium over Houston Dynamo FC.
- In week 28 Julio was awarded the Goal of the Week for his game-winner against LA Galaxy in the final moment of the match.
- In just one season with RSL, Julio scored nine goals, adding one assist, across all competitions, in 1,146 minutes, averaging an offensive contribution every 114 minutes.
- Julio finished the season with the third-highest goals per 90 minutes average, behind only D.C. United’s Ola Kamara and LA Galaxy’s Designated Player, Javier “Chicharito” Hernandez.
- While at L.D.U. Quito Julio scored 27 goals, his 27 goals across all competitions are tied for the sixth-most in club history. Ironically, he is tied with his younger brother Jhojan Julio, who now plays in Brazil on loan with Santos FC.
- Julio was one of two Real Salt Lake players nominated for Goal of the Year for his miraculous game-winning volley kick against LA Galaxy. Julio eventually lost the award to fellow RSL teammate Rubio Rubin’s bicycle kick against San Jose Earthquakes.
- Of Julio’s nine goals, across all competitions, six of them were scored as a substitute off the bench, scoring all his goals in a combined 107 minutes. His one assist was also contributed as a substitute.
What he is Saying About RSL:
“I am quite excited to return to Utah, this is what I have wanted for a very long time,” said Julio from Mexico, where he currently awaits procedural paperwork processes that will allow him to return to work in the United States. “I cannot wait to come back and work hard to help Pablo and the boys enjoy much success, and to reward the fans for their love of Real Salt Lake.”