PORTLAND, OR. - (Saturday, August 31, 2019) - Real Salt Lake (13-11-4) fell narrowly to the Portland Timbers 1-0 on Saturday night in its last match before the FIFA international window.
GK Nick Rimando registered five saves on the night - the majority in the second half - to help RSL push for the points at Providence Park.
The Timbers found the opening goal in the 16th minute when Diego Valeri fired a right-footed effort from distance that beat Rimando to open the scoring. RSL pressed to equalize and saw several half chances fall its way but it wasn’t able to convert as the teams entered halftime with Portland leading 1-0.
The second half of the match saw RSL generate more chances on goal as FWs Damir Kreilach and Corey Baird tested Steve Clarke in the Timbers net. In the 80th minute, FWs Joao Plata and Sam Johnson entered the match as RSL continued to press for the equalizer that never came as the match ended 1-0 in favor of the hosts, despite the second half onslaught from RSL.
UP NEXT: RSL returns to action on Wednesday, September 11 when it hosts the San Jose Earthquakes at 8:00p MT from Rio Tinto Stadium.
GOAL SCORING RUNDOWN:
POR: Diego Valeri (Andres Flores), 16th minute: A turnover in its own half from RSL saw Flores win the ball and play to Valeri. Valeri had room to turn an fire a left-footed shot from 25 yards that found the back of the net for the game’s opening goal.
- DF Tony Beltran (knee) and MF Nick Besler (broken right foot) were out of action due to injury.
- MF Kyle Beckerman was unavailable while serving a one-game suspension for yellow card accumulation.
- MF Kelyn Rowe made his first start and appearance for RSL since arriving to the club earlier in the month from Sporting Kansas City.
- Since returning from the Gold Cup break on June 22, RSL has the best defense in MLS. In those 13 matches, RSL is 7-3-3 with six shutouts and a league-best 0.62 goals against average. The Portland Timbers (8-4-2, 1.00) are second in the league in that same stretch.
- Nine RSL players now depart for international duty - MF Albert Rusnák with Slovakia, FW Sam Johnson with Liberia, FW Jefferson Savarino with Venezuela, FW Corey Baird with the U.S., DF Justen Glad, DF Aaron Herrera, DF/FW Brooks Lennon and FW Sebastian Sauceo with the U.S. U-23s and GK David Ochoa with the U.S. U-20s.
Match: Real Salt Lake at Portland Timbers
Date: August 31, 2019
Venue: Providence Park; Portland, Oregon
Weather: Mostly cloudy and 79 degrees
Scoring Summary 1 2 F
Real Salt Lake 0 0 0
Portland Timbers 1 0 1
POR: Diego Valeri (Andres Flores) 16’
Real Salt Lake (4-2-3-1): Nick Rimando; Aaron Herrera, Nedum Onuoha, Justen Glad, Donny Toia; Everton Luiz, Kelyn Rowe (Sam Johnson, 78’), Albert Rusnák; Jefferson Savarino, Damir Kreilach, Corey Baird (Joao Plata, 78’)
Subs not used: Andrew Putna, Erik Holt, Brooks Lennon, Justin Portillo, Sebastian Saucedo
Portland Timbers (4-5-1): Steve Clarke; Jorge Moreira, Bill Tuiloma, Claude Dielna, Jorge Villafaña; Andres Flores (Renzo Zambrano, 83’), Diego Chara, Jeremy Ebobisse, Diego Valeri (Eryk Williamson, 90’+3), Sebastian Blanco; Brian Fernandez (Marvin Loría, 85’)
Subs not used: Kendall McIntosh, Andy Polo, Tomás Conechny, Dairon Asprilla
Stats Summary: POR/RSL
Shots on Goal: 6/6
Corner Kicks: 3/1
POR - Claude Dielna (caution) 66’
POR - Renzo Zambrano (ejection) 90’+6
Referee: Nima Saghafi
Assistant Referees: C.J. Cochrane, Adam Garner
4th Official: Ramy Touchan
VAR: Geoff Gamble