SANDY, Utah (Saturday, March 17, 2018) – Real Salt Lake (1-1-1, 4 points) earned its first win of the 2018 season, topping the New York Red Bulls 1-0 in front of 16,334 at Rio Tinto Stadium. MF Albert Rusnák notched the lone goal of the match with his penalty kick in the 4th minute.
RSL immediately began the match on the front foot, earning a penalty kick in just the 4th minute when DF David Horst was judged to have been fouled inside the area. Rusnák calmly converted the spot kick, tucking away his first goal of the 2018 season. GK Nick Rimando kept the Red Bulls at bay with a diving save mid-way through the first half as he turned away low drive from Red Bulls midfielder Vincent Bezecourt to bring the teams level at the half.
The second half saw New York play the aggressor as it applied pressure quick and often to the RSL goal, forcing Rimando into another big save in the early stages of the second half. Head Coach Mike Petke utilized more youth from his available substitutions in the second half, bringing on rookie MF Corey Baird for his Major League Soccer debut.
RSL pressed for another goal as the second half wore on but couldn’t find breathing room and settled for the 1-0 win.
UP NEXT: RSL will look ahead to a bye during Week 4, but will return to regular-season action on Friday March 30 when it visits reigning MLS Cup Champion Toronto FC. Kick off for the match at BMO Field is set for 6:00 p.m. MT.
GOAL SCORING RUNDOWN:
RSL: Albert Rusnak, 4th minute – After DF David Horst went down in the area near the outside of the box, the referee pointed to the spot in the game’s opening minutes. Rusnák calmly dispatched the penalty, sending Luis Robles to his left as his chipped effort went straight down the middle.
KEY SAVES AND DEFENSIVE STOPS:
RSL: Nick Rimando, 26th minute – After a failed clearance away from the RSL penalty area, the ball fell to Red Bulls midfielder Vincent Bezecourt who’s first-time shot skipped off the wet turf bound for the far corner. Rimando read the shot well, reacting quickly to palm the low drive away from danger.
RSL: Nick Rimando, 53rd minute: A cross played in to the penalty area that found the head of Red Bulls defender Tim Parker whose diving header looked destined for the back of the net. Rimando’s quick reactions again saved RSL as he pushed the effort away to safety.
- Former RSL defender Chris Wingert was honored at halftime of the match for ten years of service with the club. One of five players to have appeared in 10 or more seasons with the Utah club established in the 2005 season, Wingert joined RSL Owner Dell Loy Hansen, General Manager Craig Waibel and longtime teammate Tony Beltran at for recognition at halftime. Wingert and Beltran are joined in the RSL “decade-plus” club by GK Nick Rimando, Captain Kyle Beckerman and former MF Javier Morales.
- Brooks Lennon started at right back for RSL for the first time while MF Corey Baird made his debut for RSL, replacing FW Sebastian Saucedo in the 66th minute.
- FW Alfredo Ortuno made his first start of the season for RSL against the Red Bulls, playing 79 minutes.
- MF Pablo Ruiz replaced FW Luis Silva on the bench as a precautionary measure during warmups.
- MF Albert Rusnák scored his first goal of 2018, converting a penalty kick in the fourth minute.
Match: Real Salt Lake vs New York Red Bulls
Date: March 17, 2018
Venue: Rio Tinto Stadium; Sandy, Utah
Weather: Cloudy and 33 degrees
Scoring Summary: 1 2 F
Real Salt Lake 1 0 1
NYRB 0 0 0
RSL – Albert Rusnák (PK) 4’
Real Salt Lake (4-2-3-1): Nick Rimando; Brooks Lennon, David Horst, Justen Glad, Demar Phillips; Damir Kreilach, Kyle Beckerman, Jefferson Savarino (Luke Mulholland 94+’), Albert Rusnák, Sebastian Saucedo (Corey Baird 66’); Alfredo Ortuno (Sunny 79’)
Subs not used: Alex Horwath, Danilo Acosta, Adam Henley, Pablo Ruiz
New York Red Bulls: (4-2-3-1): Luis Robles; Kyle Duncan, Tim Parker, Fidel Escobar (Derrick Etienne 79’), Connor Lade; Tyler Adams, Aaron Long, Marc Rzatkowski (Daniel Royer 62’), Alejandro Romero Gamarra, Vincent Bezecourt; Carlos Rivas (Bradley Wright-Phillips 72’)
Subs not used: Ryan Meara, Aurélien Collin, Alex Muyl, Michael Murillo
Stats Summary: RSL / NYRB
Shots: 6 / 9
Shots on Goal: 3 / 4
Saves: 4 / 2
Corner Kicks: 4 / 5
Fouls: 13 / 12
Offside: 4 / 3
RSL – Damir Kreilach (caution) 37’
RSL – Brooks Lennon (caution) 43’
RSL – Demar Phillips (caution) 59’
RSL – Corey Baird (caution) 88’
Referee: Ted Unkel
Assistant Referees: Eduardo Mariscal, Mike Kampmeinert
4th Official: Fotis Bazakos
Video Assistant Referee: Drew Fischer