REAL SALT LAKE GAMEDAY EVENTS:
MONDAY, JULY 4 V. NEW ENGLAND REVOLUTION
Sports Med Utah Presents 6:30 p.m. MT Kickoff for Annual Independence Day Celebration against the Revs;
Post-game Ceremonies Highlighted by Jason Kreis #9 Jersey Retirement and In-Stadium Fireworks Show;
Real Salt Lake & Sandy City Modify Rio Tinto Stadium Parking Plan for Monday’s Match
SANDY, Utah (Saturday, July 2, 2011) – Real Salt Lake (7-3-5, 26 pts.; 4th in West) will return to MLS action this Monday, July 4, with the squad’s annual Independence Day Celebration match, presented by Sports Med Utah, pitting the Claret-and-Cobalt against the New England Revolution (3-8-6, 15 pts.; 9th in East) for a second consecutive year. The early 6:30 p.m. MT kickoff in Sandy will be followed by a special post-game presentation, including the Jason Kreis #9 jersey retirement ceremony and an in-stadium fireworks display.
Tickets for always highly-anticipated Independence Day Celebration remain available and can be purchased via the following methods:
- In person at the Rio Tinto Stadium Box Office on Saturday, July 2, from 10:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. and on gameday beginning at 10:00 a.m.
- Over the phone at 888-4RSLTIX (888-477-5849)
- Online at www.RealSaltLake.com
Post-game Festivities Highlighted by Jason Kreis #9 Jersey Retirement Ceremony and In-Stadium Fireworks Show
As part of the post-game festivities surrounding Monday’s Independence Day Celebration, Real Salt Lake will hold a ceremony to retire the #9 jersey of its first-ever player and current head coach, Jason Kreis. Dignitaries from Real Salt Lake, including Co-owners Dave Checketts and Dell Loy Hansen, will join members of the Kreis family and other figures from the legendary striker’s soccer career to share their memories of one of the League’s most memorable performers. After Kreis’ #9 jersey is officially commemorated in the Rio Tinto Stadium rafters, fans can enjoy a special in-stadium fireworks display coordinated with music by the American West Symphony, which will surely serve as a satisfying warm-up to the numerous displays being held across the Salt Lake valley later that evening.
After signing with Real Salt Lake on November 17, 2004, Kreis would become the most iconic figure in Real Salt Lake’s now seven-year history, with his milestones on the playing field in Claret-and-Cobalt from 2005-2007 including scoring the first goal in club history on April 9, 2005 (vs. LA) and becoming the first MLS player to score 100 goals in league play (Aug. 13, 2005 vs. KC).
Kreis would give up the captain’s armband and hang up his cleats for good on May 3, 2007, making a player’s ultimate sacrifice by going from the field to the sideline in order to become Real Salt Lake’s second-ever head coach. Now in his fifth season as RSL’s sideline boss, the Omaha, Neb., native has flourished in the role, the Utah side’s steady ascension from league doormat to MLS powerhouse including Kreis leading the team to its first postseason berth in 2008, becoming the youngest coach to win an MLS Cup title in 2009, and helping the squad to unprecedented heights for an MLS team by reaching the Finals of the 2010/11 CONCACAF Champions League this past April.
Real Salt Lake & Sandy City Modify Rio Tinto Stadium Parking Plan for Monday’s Match
In conjunction with Sandy City’s July 4th parade and fireworks celebration plans, Real Salt Lake has announced the following changes to the normal Rio Tinto Stadium parking plan for Monday’s contest against New England:
- The Sandy City Hall parking lots will be CLOSED to the public, with the regular accompanying shuttle service also being halted.
- Parking will be available at the Workers Compensation Fund building (9620 State Street). This will be a “Park & Walk” location, meaning NO SHUTTLE SERVICE will be running to/from this lot.
- Following the match and throughout the post-game festivities, fans will be allowed to cross State Street in staggered intervals, as supervised by the Sandy City Police Department.
- Due to road closures in the Sandy City Hall and South Towne Center areas, fans driving to the contest are encouraged to arrive at the stadium from the north in order to alleviate planned congestion to the south of the stadium.
- Click here for a map of available lots and road closures surrounding Monday’s activities in Sandy.
Carnival Real Starts Kicking at 4:30 for Monday’s Independence Day Celebration
Fans and families are encouraged to arrive early for Monday’s match against New England, as good times and giveaways will be available for the taking at the Carnival Real pre-game festival on the East Lawn of Rio Tinto Stadium, starting at 4:30 p.m. MT. Local radio stations U92, KBEE 98.7 and 97.5 The Blaze will provide music for the masses, while booths and displays will also be hosted by several of RSL’s partners, including:
Burger King (“Whopper Hopper” inflatable and Prize Wheel), Budweiser, Check City, Ford, Kentucky Fried Chicken (Chuckin’ for Chicken), Mountain America Credit Union, Sports Clips, Sports Med Utah, State Farm, Utah National Guard, Wasatch Property (“Real Nation” section information), XanGo (free samples) and XINSURANCE.
After the first 10,000 fans through the Rio Tinto Stadium gates upon opening at 5:30 p.m. receive their free Jason Kreis #9 RSL posters, courtesy of Sports Med Utah, they will also have the chance to visit the Comcast, Ford, Sports Med Utah, and Utah Department of Public Safety (Designated Driver/Responsibility Has Its Rewards sign-up) booths, all located on the northeast concourse. In addition, fans will be able to chime in with their two cents during the ESPN 700 Pre-game Show and visit the RSL Ticketing booth to find out the best ways to keep visiting the best park in Major League Soccer throughout the remainder of RSL’s 2011 campaign.
RSL Team Store Serving Up Sizzling Summer Specials
The heat of summer is finally upon the Wasatch Front, and the RSL Team Store at Rio Tinto Stadium is ready to give the RSL faithful some hot deals in conjunction with Monday’s Independence Day spectacular! After being closed for the holiday weekend, the doors to the Team Store will re-open at 10:00 a.m. on Monday, when fans will again be able to take advantage of the following deals:
- In conjunction with that night’s jersey retirement ceremony, a limited-edition Jason Kreis #9 “throwback” jersey will be available in adult sizes for $50.
- Fans purchasing a youth-sized home or away RSL jersey at the retail price of $50 will receive a free RSL adidas replica mini-ball.
- There no better time to join the RSL Team Store’s “Starting XI” membership program, which includes 10 Sideline section ticket vouchers, a personalized away (white) RSL short-sleeved jersey (men’s, women’s, or children’s sizes), and a discount card good for 11% off all future purchases at the RSL Team Store.
Fans wishing to receive more information on any of the ever-expanding line of Claret-and Cobalt-tinged swag in the store are encouraged to dial the RSL Team Store Hotline at 801-727-2888, or visit the store in-person during regular business hours: 10:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. MT, Monday-Saturday (except the above-mentioned holiday closures).
Miss the Lines, Not the Moment with RSLexpress!
Why would you want to leave your seat during what is sure to be a glorious Independence Day match against New England Revolution? Well now there’s one less reason to have to head up the aisle, as the best way to “get your snack on” at Rio Tinto Stadium is through the RSLexpress in-seat delivery service, powered by Mangia. Mangia is making your life easier by offering a quick and convenient way for you to get your food – there’s no need to waste time in lines, and you won’t have to wait until halftime anymore!
RSLexpress allows fans to purchase food, drinks, and merchandise using their mobile phone, with their order being delivered directly to their seat in just minutes! It’s easy to use RSLexpress, and creating an account is free – just visit www.RSLexpress.com to start enjoying in-seat delivery from a mobile device. For instructions on ordering from an iPhone, the mobile web, or via text message, visit Mangia’s “How To” page, or call 877-762-6442.
Sergeant First Class Christopher DeCosta to Be Honored as Monday’s RSL/American Express “Hero Among Us”
Real Salt Lake and American Express are proud to recognize Sergeant First Class Christopher DeCosta of the United States Army as Monday’s recipient of the “Heroes Among Us” honor. Sergeant DeCosta, who has served in the Army for fifteen years, has received five Army Commendation Medals, four Army Achievement Medals, and one Meritorious Service Ribbon, awards bestowed to soldiers who show exceptional leadership and service in battle. The native of Taunton, Mass., is known among his comrades for his tutelage and mentorship, which have driven soldiers to stay in the Army and excel in their military and civilian careers. In an inspirational show of dedication to his country, Sergeant DeCosta recently signed an Indefinite Reenlistment Contract, giving his word to the Army that he will serve until he is no longer needed. Sergeant First Class DeCosta is a great example of dedication and honor, and, as such, Real Salt Lake and American Express are proud to recognize him as a fitting “Hero Among Us” during its July 4th contest.
For more information on the Real Salt Lake/American Express “Heroes Among Us” program, including details on how to nominate candidates for the 2011 season and biographies of past recipients, visit the “Heroes Among Us” page under the “Community” section of www.RealSaltLake.com. In addition, candidate submissions can be returned via email to heroesamongus@RealSaltLake.com, fax to 801-727-1469, or mail to the address below:
Rio Tinto Stadium
Attn: Heroes Among Us/Lesley Clark
9526 State Street
Sandy, Utah 84070
Monday’s Group & Guest Recognitions
- National Anthem performers: American West Symphony
- RSL/American Express “Heroes Among Us”: Sfc. Christopher DeCosta
- OhMyCrafts.com “Mom of the Match”: Chrissy Davis
- U.S. Bank Little Leo of the Game: Rachel Wallace
- Ceremonial Coin Toss: Sports Med Utah Representative
- RSL “Goal Gong” Ringers: The Clark Family
- Ball Kids: Layton Strikers
- Pre-game Verizon Wireless “Parade of Kings” participants & recognized groups: TC United