REAL SALT LAKE SETTLES FOR SCORELESS DRAW AGAINST NASHVILLE SC
David Ochoa Registers First Career Shutout; Ashtone Morgan and Noah Powder Make Club Debuts
SANDY, Utah (Saturday, May 15, 2021) – Real Salt Lake (2-1-1, 7 points) played to a scoreless draw with Nashville SC on Saturday evening in the first-ever meeting between the two clubs.
David Ochoa registered his first shutout in Major League Soccer while Ashtone Morgan and Noah Powder each made their club debuts in the match.
In the first half neither team was able to register a shot on target to test either goalkeeper. Anchored by the centerback pairing of Erik Holt and Justen Glad, RSL held Nashville SC at bay while maintaining nearly 60 percent of the possession to bring the teams into the break scoreless.
The second half of the match saw each team press to break the deadlock as the match opened up. Nashville SC forward Randall Leal registered the first shot on target in the 69th minute when his low shot from just inside the right corner of the penalty area was smothered by Ochoa. Perhaps the best chance of the night came in second half stoppage time when Maikel Chang’s cross found Holt at the back post, but his header skipped just wide of the frame as the match ended scoreless.
UP NEXT: Real Salt Lake returns to the road to face FC Dallas on Saturday, May 22 at Toyota Stadium. Kickoff is set for 5:30 p.m. MT.
GOAL SCORING RUNDOWN:
- The matched marked the first all-time meeting between RSL and 2020 MLS expansion team Nashville SC.
- Saturday’s match was the fourth annual Pride Night at Rio Tinto Stadium.
- Forward Anderson Julio returned to the starting lineup after missing last week’s 2-1 loss to San Jose with a quad injury. He played 82 minutes in the match.
- Ashtone Morgan and Noah Powder each made their club debuts, coming on as a second-half substitutes. Powder’s entrance into the match marked his MLS debut.
- Midfielder Everton Luiz (knee) and defenders Aaron Herrera (quad) and Marcelo Silva (hamstring) were unavailable due to injury.
- Real Salt Lake had five RSL Academy products in the XI and seven on the 20-man roster. Additionally, six players on the 20-man roster were previously signed to the Monarchs.
Match: Real Salt Lake vs. Nashville SC
Date: May 15, 2021
Venue: Rio Tinto Stadium; Sandy, Utah
Weather: Sunny and 74 Degrees
Scoring Summary:1 2 F
Real Salt Lake 0 0 0
Nashville SC 0 0 0
Real Salt Lake (4-2-3-1): David Ochoa; Andrew Brody (Noah Powder 83’), Justen Glad, Erik Holt, Donny Toia (Ashtone Morgan 76’); Pablo Ruiz, Damir Kreilach; Anderson Julio (Maikel Chang 82’), Albert Rusnak, Justin Meram (Douglas Martinez 83’); Rubio Rubin
Subs not used: Zac MacMath, Tate Schmitt, Nick Besler, Justin Portillo, Milan Iloski
Nashville SC (4-3-3): Joe Willis; Alistair Johnston, Dave Romney, Walker Zimmerman, Daniel Lovitz; Dax McCarty (Matt LaGrassa 83’), Anibal Godoy, Alex Muyl (Luke Haakenson 66’); Randal Leal (Taylor Washington, 83’), Dominique Badji (Hany Mukhtar 57’), CJ Sapong (Jhonder Cadiz 66’)
Subs not used: Bryan Meredith, Jalil Anibaba, Dylan Nealis, Handwalla
Stats Summary: RSL / NSH
Shots: 12 / 12
Shots on Goal: 0 / 3
Saves: 0 / 3
Corner Kicks: 12 / 7
Fouls: 6 / 10
RSL: Justen Glad (caution) 27’
NSH: Alex Muyl (caution) 50’
Referee: Marcos DeOliveira
Assistant Referees: Jeff Hosking, Jose da Silva
4th Official: Elijio Arreguin
VAR: Edvin Jurisevic
AVAR: Mike Kampmeinert