Real Salt Lake has the talent to be much better than its 4-10-2 record through the first 16 matches of the season. And while the team will get back to the training field on Friday after a five-day break since enduring a 6-2 defeat to FC Dallas last week, Head Coach Mike Petke said on Wednesday that the reaction to that loss by the players will determine how far this team can go, as constructed, and which changes will need to be made when the summer transfer window opens up on July 10.
“It depends on the players. These players are solely responsible for the first four wins this club has had since last August. I added my things and coached them and added my tactics, but they went out on the field and got it done. Then we’ve had, obviously, some bad results,” Petke said on ESPN 700’s Bill Riley Show. “I inherited a team and I’m very close to understanding their mentality and we’re trying to get new ideas and new approaches through to them.”
Prior to consecutive lopsided losses in Texas to the Houston Dynamo and FC Dallas, RSL had won two out of three matches and executed the game plan excellently in the third match, a 1-0 road loss to the Seattle Sounders. However, things were not so fortuitous in those defeats. Both matches got out of reach quickly, with Houston taking a 3-0 lead into halftime and Dallas dropping five first-half goals on Saturday.
Salt Lake returns to MLS action on Saturday, June 17, against Minnesota United, but first will face Sacramento Republic in the Fourth Round of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup on Wednesday. With a large gap in the schedule, the team took some time off to rest and get rejuvenated for another busy upcoming stretch. More than anything, though, Petke hopes the players get into the right mindset to come out with a vengeance after the break.
“We’re looking for them to come back refreshed mentally and physically and get back on the field and get ready for first and foremost Wednesday against Sacramento and then the MLS game against Minnesota on the weekend,” Petke said.
The RSL Head Coach reiterated that he expects players to compete for starting spots upon returning from the break and his roster will be bolstered by several returns from injury, suspension and international duty.
Justen Glad, Danny Acosta, Brooks Lennon and Sebastian Saucedo all return from the FIFA U-20 World Cup, where the U.S. made a run to the quarterfinals. Nick Rimando and Jefferson Savarino also return from international duty with the U.S. and Venezuela, respectively. Sunny is back from suspension and David Horst, Jordan Allen and Demar Phillips are all nearing returns from injury.
With so many of those options back in the fold, Petke’s options increase dramatically. In the case of the U-20 players, he will get a lot of in-form and fit players to add to the depth of the squad.
“It’s good to have them back because they’re quality players. They’ve gotten such great experience and they’ve done so well with the U-20s. They’re in great shape. They’re hungry. They’re playing at a high level,” he said. “Equally as important is creating competitions in many positions. Players need to step up now and say, ‘I’m the guy to play in this position.’ That’s invaluable for a coach and that’s something that I’m looking forward to when we get back to practice.”
To hear the full interview, click here.