Real Salt Lake has multiple ways to clinch a playoff berth this week, with its first opportunity to do so tonight, when the Portland Timbers host San Jose Earthquakes at 8:30 p.m. MT. If Portland records a loss or tie against San Jose, the Claret-and-Cobalt will have clinched a seventh-straight spot in the MLS Cup Playoffs – the longest active streak in MLS.
So all RSL fans should be glued to their screens tonight, hoping for a Timbers loss - which shouldn't be too hard of course.
RSL Playoff Scenarios:
Real Salt Lake will clinch a berth in the MLS Cup Playoffs IF
- Real Salt Lake win vs San Jose Earthquakes on Saturday
- Real Salt Lake tie vs San Jose Earthquakes on Saturday AND
- Vancouver Whitecaps FC tie or lose vs. Seattle Sounders FC on Saturday OR
- Portland Timbers tie or lose vs. San Jose Earthquakes on Wednesday
- Vancouver Whitecaps FC lose vs. Seattle Sounders FC on Saturday OR
- Portland Timbers lose/tie vs. San Jose Earthquakes on Wednesday