Editor's Note: Once a week, RSL-Arizona Academy PR ace Garrett Cleverly will provide us with updates from the Academy. Garrett's first update is below - Follow him and the Grande Sports Academy on Twitter and check the Grande Sports Academy blog, Facebook page and Instagram for all the latest info on RSL's Casa Grande youth program.
- The U-16 Academy team has still has two games remaining on its regular season schedule, but over the weekend coaches recived a letter from U.S. Soccer notifying them that they have qualified for the U.S. Soccer Development Academy Playoffs. This is the third consecutive year that the U16's have qualified for the USSDA playoffs.
- The U18's received a similar letter last week from U.S. Soccer. Like the U16's, the U-18's have qualified for the playoffs the past three years.
- Current Southwest Division standings for our U-16 and U-18 teams and what could change for them in the next few weeks in terms of playoff positioning.
- 43 Academy players participated in a community service event last week, becoming "coaches" for the day when they led over 150 Elementary School Students through drills, exercises and games.
- Former Academy player Ricardo Velasco helped FC Tucson of the PDL defeat USL PRO side Phoenix FC 2-1 in the opening round of the U.S. Open Cup on Tuesday. Velasco is one of three former Academy players are currently playing in the PDL season.
- Tradition here at the Academy is that Coaches and players play a "friendly" game every Friday morning. Click to see who won last week's epic match.
- 26 RSL-AZ players were recognized earlier this month at Vista Grande High School for their academic achievement of having a 3.75 GPA or higher.
- Coaches mixed up the training schedule and held a mini-round-robin-tournament that had to be settled on PK's. Check out the video here and enjoy the excellent commentary provided by coaches and players. Also some pictures from that training here. And a 'Keepers ONLY gallery here.
- Interested in becoming a RSL-AZ player? You'll have your chance as Academy coaches will be in Utah May 24-25 holding tryouts. Details here.