Major League Soccer announced today the six Real Salt Lake candidates eligible for fan voting for the 2012 AT&T MLS All-Star Game v. European Champions Chelsea Football Club, July 25 at PPL Park in Chester, Penn..
Representing the Claret-and-Cobalt are GK Nick Rimando, DF Jamison Olave, DF Nat Borchers, MF Kyle Beckerman, FW Alvaro Saborio and FW Fabian Espindola, who are among the 114 players that were nominated by a panel of media members.
Fans can vote from Friday, June 8 at 10 a.m. MT through Monday, July 2 both online at www.MLSsoccer.com, and via text message by sending a player’s first and last name to 22442. Voting will also be enabled via Twitter on June 21-22 with details to follow.
The players with the highest combined fan votes from these three voting methods will become the first 11 All-Stars – known as the "All-Star First XI," who will be revealed in the ESPN broadcast of the Chicago Fire vs. LA Galaxy game (1 p.m. MT) on July 8. The gameday roster, as chosen by All-Star head coach Peter Nowak, will be announced during the ESPN broadcast of the New York Red Bulls vs. Seattle Sounders FC game, July 15 (2 p.m. MT). The player who receives the most text votes by 5 p.m. ET on Monday, July 2 will automatically earn a spot among the All-Star First XI.
A total of 32 All-Stars are named each year, per the collective bargaining agreement. Media, fans, players, the All-Star coach and MLS Commissioner Don Garber all contribute in the All-Star selection process.
The 32 players named 2012 AT&T MLS All-Stars will be selected in four phases:
1) Ballot creation: A select media panel determined the field of players – six players per team – who are most deserving of consideration for this year’s All-Star Game. Those 114 players are eligible for fan voting.
2) Fan voting: Through July 2 at 4 p.m. CT, fans will select the “First XI” All-Stars. Fans can vote via any of three digital platforms:
a. At MLSsoccer.com: Vote for your starting lineup of 11 players, beginning June 8.
b. Via text message (SMS): Text an MLS player’s first and last name to 22442.
- Each vote will count equally with those submitted online in determining the First XI.
- The player who receives the most text votes will automatically earn a spot among the First XI.
- Message and data rates may apply.
c. Twitter: Details of Twitter voting will be released in the near future.
The First XI will be announced on Sunday, July 8, on ESPN during halftime of the Chicago Fire-LA Galaxy game that begins at 2 p.m. CT.
3) Team selection: The MLS All-Star head coach will select the gameday roster from the pool of eligible players, consisting of the First XI as determined by the fans, MLS Commissioner Don Garber’s two selections and players who received votes from at least two players.
The Commissioner selections and gameday roster will be announced on Sunday, July 15 on ESPN during halftime of the New York Red Bulls vs. Seattle Sounders FC game that begins at 3 p.m. CT.
4) Player selections: MLS players will determine the remainder of the 32 All-Stars named annually per the CBA (known as the “inactive roster”).
The final list of 32 All-Stars (4 goalkeepers, 8 defenders, 13 midfielders and 7 forwards) will be announced on MLSsoccer.com on July 25.