Fan Code of Conduct
Major League Soccer is committed to creating a safe, comfortable and enjoyable soccer experience for all guests in and around our stadiums. MLS fans have a right to expect an environment where:
- Fans are encouraged to cheer, sing, and otherwise support their team while remaining respectful and courteous to their fellow patrons, referees, opposing team fans and players.
- Fans enjoy the soccer experience free from fighting, *thrown objects, attempts to enter the playing field, political or inciting messages, and disorderly behavior, including foul, sexist, racial, obscene or abusive language or gestures.
- Fans comply with requests from stadium staff regarding stadium policies and emergency response procedures.
- Fans promptly and carefully return the ball to a stadium staff member or the ball kid on the sidelines in the event that a soccer ball enters the stands. Alcoholic beverages are consumed in a responsible manner and only by those of legal age.
- Fans conduct themselves in a lawful manner to avoid incidents in the stadium and in the parking lots.
*NOTE: The use of streamers and confetti as an expression of fan enthusiasm is not prohibited, but will be kept under review. Streamers are not to be used to impact the competition and/or thrown at or toward a player, referee or stadium staff member.
FAILURE TO ABIDE BY THIS CODE OF CONDUCT IS SUBJECT TO SANCTIONS, INCLUDING EJECTION, BANISHMENT AND ARREST.
MLS and its Clubs thank you for adhering to the provisions of the Code of Conduct and for making this event special and memorable to you and your fellow patrons.
PLEDGE TO FANS
Major League Soccer values the support of every one of its fans. MLS pledges to protect a fan’s right to:
- Watch the game in a safe, clean and healthy environment.
- Be treated in a courteous, consistent and professional manner.
- Be treated with dignity and respect by other spectators attending the game and those organizing the event.
- ‘Support’ his or her team, provided that the support is in good taste and neither adversely impacts the event experience of fellow spectators nor negatively impacts the game.
- Expect displays of good sportsmanship.
- Expect timely and accurate information related to the game.
*Download a PDF Document version of the MLS Fan Code of Conduct: CodeOfConduct.pdf
- Weapons of any kind including, but not limited to, knives, pepper spray, stun guns, concealed weapons and firearms
- Fireworks of any kind including, but not limited to, flares, smoke bombs, incendiary devices and pyrotechnics Illegal drugs or harmful chemicals
- Any missile or projectile like object
- Aerosol cans or pressurized containers
- Professional camera equipment; tripods, battery packs, large commercial video cameras
- Laser pointers
- Remote controlled aircraft (drones)
- Bottles, cans, coolers, containers or food or beverage of any kind (with the exception of 1 empty water bottle per person)
- Noisemakers, plastic horns, air horns, whistles
- Pets (with the exception of service dogs) - Beginning on March 15, 2011, only dogs are recognized as service animals under titles II and III of the ADA
- Confetti Canisters
- Any other items deemed to be inappropriate or dangerous by the Event Manager
Anyone with an item that does not pass security measures will be asked to either take the item back to their vehicle or dispose of it. Purses, backpacks, fanny packs, diaper bags or any other bags may be brought into the stadium, but will be thoroughly searched at the bag inspection area.
Banners are encouraged provided they are not commercial, offensive, or in poor taste. All banners and signs are subject to approval of content and message. Banners may not obstruct the view of any guests, stadium signage, or present any safety hazards.
Persons entering the field of play without proper access or credentials will be removed from the stadium and may be subject to a permanent ban from Rio Tinto Stadium. Persons throwing objects onto the field of play or at individuals will be removed from the stadium and may be subject to permanent ban from Rio Tinto Stadium.
Streamers/confetti thrown in the air during moments of celebration (goals/game introductions) is permitted.
Re-Entry: There is no re-entry policy at Rio Tinto Stadium. In case of medical emergency see a guest services staff member.
Rio Tinto Stadium and Real Salt Lake reserve the right to remove fans that do not adhere to stadium guidelines or fans code of conduct.